Op-ed (in tweet form)

Op-ed (in tweet form): Happy #4thOfJuly to states that practice liberty. #USA ranks 15th in freedom, and will keep falling if the fruitcakes (AL, AR, ID, KY, LA, MS, MO, ND, OK, SD, TN, TX, UT, WY) with trigger laws use tax dollars (even though they worship small government) to promote their inner Taliban.

Translate

August 1, 2017

Big D odyssey

Today marks two years of living in one of the great (if not greatest) cities in the world! It now has a worthy place among my favorite cities (Barcelona, Philadelphia and Vienna you have been warned). I've traveled far and wide, and even though Dallas doesn't have thousands of years history (like my beloved Yerevan), it has a unique mix of modern metropolis and pioneer town infused with the African-American and Hispanic culture that adds so much vibrancy.
J.R. Ewing would be proud (I had to play up to the stereotype). To think my parents had Dallas on in the living room growing up, I blame them for my move! Now that I mentioned one of the greatest fictional characters to grace our screen, how good is the opening credits to Dallas the TV series (1978-91). Here's the updated version (when the series was rebooted in 2012) - now this is how you market a city in under a minute.
Big D has many claims to fame...Many of America's prominent companies call it home, such as AT&T (world's largest telecommunications company), Southwest Airlines, Texas Instruments, also Exxon-Mobil has its headquarters in the Dallas suburb of Irving. Outside of being a corporate mecca, it's known for having the world's richest sporting club (Dallas Cowboys), America's priciest estate (Crespi Hicks), nations largest light rail network and urban arts district. One of 13 U.S. cities with a presence in all 4 major professional sports (as a hockey tragic this is of utmost importance). Has some funky neighborhoods catering to all cultural tastes, an abundance of biking/walking trails for outdoor enthusiasts (home to the nation's largest urban forest) and being part of a Metroplex brings with it another great city on its doorstep (Fort Worth), plus picturesque towns like Grapevine nearby. To top it off, it's within striking distance to Arkansas, Louisiana, Oklahoma and the diverse Texan cities of Austin, Houston, San Antonio. Personally, I've been a skyline fanatic ever since I was knee high, so seeing the city lit up during a sundown bike ride never gets boring.
On the downside it's home to arguably America's worst president (soon to be dislodged by the current bumpkin-in-chief), this will forever give Dallas bragging rights over New York. I happen to reside 1.5 miles from the George W. Bush Presidential library, let's just say it has confirmed my suspicion that being commander-in-chief requires a third graders mental aptitude. The most annoying sporting fans, as the Cowboys are referred to as America's team, their supporters think they have the right to shove it down your throat! As someone into 4 seasons, it definitely lacks in that department, 100 days of 100°F weather with a few days of snowy days just doesn't cut it. Although it does get some famous ice storms - anything that reminds me of one of the best films, 'The Ice Storm' is acceptable. Having random chats about where I'm from still takes up way too much time at the check out counter. Just as well I'm an interpreter, lets just say translation is needed when explaining what a rockmelon means in an Australian accent to a Southerner.

Who knows where I'll be in the future...One must move constantly around before death, as life's way too short! Whatever happens, I can look back fondly on my time in the heart of Texas. Oh dear, I just started humming the classic Dallas anthem, 'Deep in the Heart of Texas'. Time to stop writing, before I start singing it out loud!